What is eBay? What does it do? Who is it for?
Have you asked yourself what really is eBay?
Have you wondered how to really get something onto or from eBay?
Here are some answers to these questions.
Price: Free for buyers and a fee for sellers
Owner(s): Pierre Omidyar in 1995
Location: San Jose, California
Overall Rank: 80 out of 100
EBAY, Product Overview
eBay is an American worldwide e-commerce corporation. It is a place where you can sell or buy goods from around the world. It is like a giant flea market auction. The difference between this and a flea market is that you don’t have to leave your home to go to it. You can sell things that are no longer used or wanted. You can buy things from other people. It is a place where goods are bought or sold to a general public.
The Good & the Bad
- You can get rid of stuff you have laying around the house or dorm.
- You can make money on your stuff.
- There is an eBay guarantee on most items.
- You can send items back to the person or contact them if you did not want it or it was broken when you got it.
- You have a choice to sell by auction or fixed price.
- You can get a really good item for the least amount of money when buying items.
- There are a lot of people who go onto eBay to purchase all types of items. If you are selling, you can get a bunch of exposure to your stuff.
- You may not get the price you thought your item was worth if you sell it. Or if you buy something, you may not get exactly what you wanted.
- Time, it takes some time to sell your stuff. If you do an auction to sell your stuff it usually takes between 7 and 10 days for your item to sell. If you buy something by auction, it may take just as long to buy an item.
- You have to determine ahead of time what you think the items are worth when selling.
- You have to have at least 1 picture of your item(s) that you are selling.
- You have to describe your item and put descriptive words in so people can find your item. You also only can put it under one heading.
- You will have to update your item if it does not sell. Your item may not sell the first time it is on eBay.
- You have to read the descriptions of what you are buying to make sure that it is what you want. You could end up with something that does not work if you don’t read everything about it before you bid or order something.
Who is EBAY For?
Ebay is for anyone looking to buy or sell items. Either new or old items are found on eBay. This is good for anyone over the age of 18. (I say this because most children are not old enough to purchase things on the internet.)
EBAYTools & Training
There is a help section for the selling. It can be confusing at times, however, it is helpful when you cannot figure it out.
Ebay does have a staff support. If you have an item that you are selling and someone says that they are buying it, and they don’t pay for the item it goes to the eBay arbitration. Then eBay will ask them to pay you. You get the option to give feedback to the buyer or seller as you see fit.
Ebay is free to use for buyers. Sellers are charged fees for listing items. Sometimes there are sales that help defray the cost of selling online.
My Final Opinion of EBAY
Ebay is a good place to start selling your items. Make sure that if you are selling that you are aware of the amount that eBay charges for use of their services.
EBAY at a Glance…
Owners: Pierre Omidyar in 1995
Price: free for buyers and a fee for sellers
Overall Scam Rank: 80 out of 100